• What if the case I'm interested in is closed or archived?

    Closed cases are kept at the Clerk's Offices for a limited amount of time (usually 3-5 years) due to a lack of storage space. After which the closed cases are shipped to the Denver Federal Records Center (archives). To view a case, at the Federal Records Center, you'll need to know the following:

    • Accession (archive id),
    • Location
    • Box number.

    The above information is available by calling the Clerk's Office at (801) 524-6687.

    If you prefer to have the case shipped from Denver to the Clerk's Office for review, there is a $64.00 archive retrieval fee. 

    Requests to access archived case information, at the Denver Federal Records Center, can be submitted to them via mail, fax, or online. Please visit their website for more information.

    [Denver Records Copy Form]

  • What do we do if someone in bankruptcy owes us money?

    In a chapter 7 no-asset case do not file a claim unless requested to do so by the court. In a chapter 7 asset case you will receive a claim form and a notice setting a date to file the claim. In a chapter 13 case, a LINKLINK Proof of Claim LINKLINK must be filed within 90 days of the 341 meeting date. In a chapter 11 case, unless otherwise ordered by the court, the bar date for filing proofs of claim shall be 180 days after the date of the order for relieff LINLLINK (Local Rule 3003-1) LINKLINK. The original claim and any supporting documents are filed with the Clerk's Office. If you wish to have a conformed copy returned to you, please enclose an extra copy and a self-addressed stamped envelope.

  • What are the Federal Holidays?

    The Clerk's Office is open to the public from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, except for federal and state holidays.

    Closing dates can be accessed by clicking the following link.

  • How many copies do I need to file at the Court?

    The court requires the originals for all new chapter 7 and chapter 12 case; chapter 13, 9 and chapter 11 cases (plus copies indicated on the chapter filing LINLINK checklists LINKLINK).  Please provide an additional copy if you want one for your records. LINKLINK Local Rule 5005-1 LINKLINK governs requirements for filing papers with the court.

  • How long does a bankruptcy remain on my credit report?

    The fact that an individual filed a bankruptcy can remain on the credit report no longer than 10 years from the date a voluntary bankruptcy case is filed. The "petition date" (or the date the bankruptcy was filed) is the date of entry of the order for relief.

    More information is available in the Fair Credit Reporting Act [15 U.S.C § 1681c(a)(1)]

  • How do I obtain case information?


    Bankruptcy cases are public records and are available for viewing via the Pacer website.

    Over the phone:

    Case information can also be accessed by using a touch tone phone by calling the McVCIS service.

    At the Courthouse:

    Computers are available for viewing cases at the Clerk's Office, 350 South Main, Room 301, Salt Lake City, Utah. Case information can also be printed at a cost of $.50 per page.

  • How do I get certified copies of documents?

    By Person:

    Certified copies of documents are available at the Clerk's Office in Salt Lake City, UT. The cost is $11.00 per certification plus an over the counter copy fee of $.50 per page.

    By Mail:

    To obtain copies by mail write to U.S. Bankruptcy Court c/o mail requests. Please specify the name of the document to be certified and the document number if available. There is an additional file search fee of $30.00 for mail requests that require research. Please make the check or money order payable to Clerk, U.S. Bankruptcy Court. The Clerk's Office does not accept personal checks from debtors.


  • How do I get a hearing date?

    To schedule a matter please contact the Judicial Assistant or scheduling clerk for the judge assigned to the case. Matters can also be requested via the court’s Web page. LINKLINK Go to court phone directory LINKLINK

    To view anticipated court calendars for each judge LINKLINK click here. LINKLINK

  • How do I find out who the trustee is in a case?

    The trustee's name and address is printed on the notice of the Sec. 341(a) meeting of creditors. You also can obtain the trustee's name from the court's online case information system PACER, as well as by calling the automated public information systems, McVCIS and or by calling the court (801-524-6687) and speaking with a case administrator.

  • Do I need an attorney to file bankruptcy?

    While it is possible to file a bankruptcy case pro se that is, without the assistance of an attorney, it may be difficult to do so successfully. It is recommended that a person considering bankruptcy consult with a competent attorney prior to filing a case. For information on lawyer referral programs, or free legal clinics in your area contact the local bar association.